It’s Tan time of year! How to get the PERFECT Tan
What are the benefits of self-tanning?
The first and most important benefit of using a self-tanner is that self- tanning has no harmful effects on your skin. There is no risk of getting skin cancer or burnt skin due to prolonged exposure to the sun in order to get the bronzed look. Using a self-tanner is gradually becoming the preferred way of acquiring a healthy and glowing tan without the negative effects of damaging UV indoor and outdoor rays
The active ingredient in most sunless tanning products is the colour additive dihydroxyacetone (DHA). When applied, dihydroxyacetone reacts with the amino acids in the protein keratin, the major component of the skin’s surface. Different amino acids react to DHA in different ways, producing different tones of colouration from yellow to brown. The colouring typically wears off after a few days.
- DHA was first recognised as a skin colouring agent by German scientists in the 1920
- In the 1960’s sunless tanning lotion was brought into the marketplace
- In the 1970s the Food & Drug administration (FDA) added DHA permanently to their list of approved cosmetic ingredients
- By the 1980s, new sunless tanning formulations appeared on the market and refinements in the DHA manufacturing process created products that produced a more natural looking colour and better fading
- Today, DHA is the main active ingredient in many sunless tanning preparations. Lotion manufacturers also produce a wide variety of sunless tanning preparations that replace DHA with natural bronzing agents such as black walnut shell. DHA may be used alone or combined with other tanning components such as Erythrose. DHA is considered the most effective sun-free tanning additive
DHA concentrations in sunless tanning products range from 1% to 20%. The percentages correspond with the product coloration levels from light to dark. The Fitzpatrick scales should be used to understand your skin colour and what colour tan should be applied to the skin for the correct desired results.
The fun part!
Whether you’re applying a self-tan in the comfort of your own home or going to a salon for a professional spray tan, the secret to perfect tan results that are even and long lasting lies in what you do before & after tanning. Here are some key tips for preparing your skin for a tan, looking after it while it develops & what to do to maintain your results in the days following
Exfoliate and moisturise 24 hours before you apply your self-tan, paying particular attention to elbows, knees, ankles and problem dry areas.
Wax or shave at least 48 hours prior to treatment. This allows the pores time to close. This will help avoid dark dots in your pores!
For the entire 24 hours before you apply your self-tan avoid using bar soaps, high pH shower products, oil-based products or in-shower moisturisers. These products may act as a barrier against your skin and can prevent the fast-acting tanning agents to develop.
Before applying your self-tan, make sure your skin is clean and dry. Keep in mind that too much moisture causes tanning products to slide right off the skin. Do not apply moisturising lotion except in light amounts on your knees and elbows — the areas where tanner generally absorbs too much. This helps stop these areas from getting too dark.
Do not apply moisturiser, perfume, deodorant or makeup on the day of application. This may cause discoloration or a patchy tan result that won’t last as long.
If you are going to a salon, ensure you follow the above tips as well as bringing along loose clothing to put on after your appointment
Tan application checklist
You should always apply a self-tan foam or lotion with a mitt to ensure blended, even coverage as well as to protect your hands from absorbing too much product. You can also use a mitt to even out & blend a tanning spray or mist.
If using a foam or lotion, apply in circular motions to your skin starting from the legs and working your way up.
If using a Spray Tan Kit, hold the machine upright and 10-15 cm away from the skin spraying in downward motions on each part of your body starting from the legs making your way up.
Use minimal product on drier/problem/sensitive areas like your face, elbows, hands, knees and feet. You can also apply moisturiser to these areas before tanning to create a light barrier, so they absorb less product in the dry spots to avoid tan build up.
Post tan checklist
- After letting the tan develop for 1-3+ hours, shower quickly for 45 secs, with lukewarm water. The brown bronzers will wash away, while the fast tan actives continue to work and deepen over the next 24 hours. Do not use hot water – it stops the development of tan actives during the development time. This is a common mistake people make, especially in the colder months. Once you shower, you can wear your favourite clothes, go out of the house and not stain the bed sheets.
- Use plain water, do not use shower gels, scrubs, shampoos or loofah during the first 24 hours after your treatment.
- Pat your skin dry. Do not rub or scrub your skin.
- Moisturise every day after applying your self-tan. Using a gradual tan product will keep your skin hydrated while also topping up the colour of your tan for longer lasting results.
- After day 5, exfoliate with a soft body polish daily, to help your skin absorb even more moisturiser and keep it looking and feeling gorgeous. This also helps the tan fade naturally, rather than in patches.
A green based fake tan is the one-size-fits-all the tanning world. This is the most popular fake tan base colour, and it looks great on most skin types, giving it a natural tan finish. Green based tans are perfect for lighter complexions with cool or warm undertones.
As the tan develops a Violet based product will counteract any yellow / orange undertones. That is because violet is on the opposite end in the colour spectrum. When a darker tan is required, a violet based product will usually deliver the best results.
A mix of dark ash brown bronzers counteracts red and gold undertones in your skin to deliver a natural looking, cool intense tan
A Natural sun kissed look with quadruple dark bronzers work with tan extending multi-vitamins and oils to deliver a picture-perfect tan in an instant that continues to develop into a natural golden skin finish.
Naked Tan is a leading Professional tanning brand in Australia with over 3,000 Professional Hair and Beauty Salons nationally.
Naked Tan pioneered the tanning industry in 2007 launching at Sydney International Beauty Expo becoming the first tanning company to develop a 2hr wash and wear tan.
Since then Naked Tan have introduced a successful retail range and most recently launched the first tan to develop in 20mins. Also, the problem solving LUXE professional solutions which includes the 20min Rapid Tan, Water Resistant Tan and Slimming Tan.
A big part of Naked Tan and another reason for the loyal cult following is our signature Coconut & Vanilla Signature scent!
At MineTan, their range covers every option under the sun, so you can choose the tan that is perfect for you… a tan that is all “mine”.
After all everyone is different – we all have different skin tones, different tanning preferences and different occasions we tan for. MineTan enables you to be in control of your picture-perfect finish, from your desired skin tone to how dark you want to go to your skin finish… and everything in between.
2016 saw MineTan turn the tanning industry upside down with the introduction of hydration based tanning technology. 2017 heralds the introduction of a new range of Ultra Dark Tans, Micellar Water Tans, the NEW Bronze Babe Personal Spray Tan Kit and more.
VANI-T is an award-winning, luxury natural tanning and makeup company and an international success story, founded on a heart centred vision and the purest natural ingredients in the world. Each product is meticulously created with you in mind, often taking 50+ attempts to achieve the perfect formula.
Established in 2004, the company and its products have been developed through innovation and an unwavering commitment to purity, luxury and quality. VANI-T is now available in over 15,000 stockists worldwide in more than 15 countries and used by over 14 million beauties.
In 2004, mother of 3 – Tania Walsh, began by making products in her kitchen and launched the world’s first natural tanning solution to market. Today, the range has since expanded to include vegan and cruelty free professional spray tan solutions, self-tan and makeup.